A couple times a year, I pull out my crock pot and make a big patch of pulled pork. Whenever I bring out my crock pot, I am always dumbfounded why I don’t do this more often. This recipe is crazy simple and the hardest part it just waiting for the meat to cook!
I had adapted this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, but since I had a crock pot instead of a dutch oven, I change up the ingredients. This time I made Dr. Pepper Spicy Pulled Pork with Habanero Salsa.
- 1 whole onion
- 1 whole pork shoulder (pork butt)
- 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 12 oz of Dr. Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Cut up the onions into quarters and place at the bottom of the crock pot
- Generously salt and pepper the pork shoulder and place on top of the onions
- Pour the entire can of chipotles and sauce over the pork
- Pour the Dr. Pepper over the pork
- Pat in the brown sugar
- Cook over 6 hours and flip the pork 2-3 times during the cooking process
- When cooking time is over, you should be able to take a fork and shred the meat.
- Take the meat out of the crock pot and shred the meat with two forks then place back into the crock pot sauce.
I was thinking of ways to use the pulled pork, since it definitely makes enough for 4-6 people. Sometimes we like to make pulled pork sandwiches, but this time I decided to put it in a quesadilla. I am never looking back!
Since I had some La Victoria Mango Habanero Salsa on hand, I added it to the quesadilla. It was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy!
La Victoria is one of our favorite brands of salsa and we always keep a jar in the fridge. At least once a week we have a burrito night! La Victoria just came out with three new salsas: Mango Habanero, Pineapple Salsa, and Roasted Pepper Salsa.
During a 4th of July BBQ, we brought chips and the La Victoria Pineapple Salsa. Needless to say, it went fast!
Whether you are using La Victoria Salsa with chips, in a burrito, or as a side to a quesadilla, you can’t go wrong. It’s amazing how something so simple can be so delicious!
Bonus, La Victoria is hosting a giveaway: Enter to win a trip to San Diego!
To enter the giveaway, head to the La Victoria website here. Good luck!